Monday, June 17, 2013

Scare Tactics

I'm pretty sure today was organized to see who would run away and never come back. We had a full school breakfast where the staff and professors served students, then a full school meeting. All morning classes were shortened due to this, plus there was an extra orientation which carried over through lunch so NO LUNCH all day! I never received the solo for 'assessments' within the band, so I went in close to cold in my audition. Just call it an audition, not an assessment! Woodwind methods began with a pre-assessment on oboe fingerings, which I half made up and got mostly right. There was also a written pre-assessment, and no joke, I had this question: Explain why the oboe reed has two crows. My answer: To get to the other side. Then, I erased it and made a more educated guess. After spending $700 on a meal plan, $200 on books... I think it's safe to say that my bank account is tapped out and I'm officially scared to death of grad school. At least I didn't run for the hills of Vermont after the first day.

No comments: