Tuesday, July 05, 2011

End of first class (after 10.5 hour day y'all)

Given that this week is a 4 day work week, a 3 credit week long class has been condensed into 4 days, from 8am to 6:30 pm. It was a very long afternoon. However, it's been amazing so far! I left my cell in the dorm, so sorry no photos today. However, a lot of what I learned from Christina student teaching has been reinforced and I feel less overwhelmed than those around me, I think. I've met some neat people, and the professors have a wealth of what union folks would call "institutional knowledge". They've been around, and have some amazing insight into the history and future of bands.
I can't wait to play my clarinet, but I wouldn't mind not having to conduct in front of 40 other educators.
They don't know what to say out here when I tell them I'm from Vermont. I joke and say that some people ask me what state that's in to break the ice... (insert nervous laugh here). Everybody is approachable and friendly though, and it's exciting to not have a feeling that we're all here to learn.
I also ran into Jordan from music ed at UVM. She's working in a residence hall and it was amazing to find somebody I know just happenstance.

2 comments:

Miss Ethier said...

Have fun chickalita- dont forget to check out the giant bean at millennium park!

Heather said...

I don't recall talking about a giant bean, but now I'm intrigued! Thanks Jodi.