Thursday, October 21, 2010

Drag Queen

We're focusing on American popular music in my 7th grade general music class right now. When watching a movie about early rock and roll, a student looked at me and said, "Is Little Richard a drag queen?" I responded that no - the heavy makeup was for the performance in the video and he's always had long curly hair. The same student then said, "Well, is the singer in Aerosmith a drag queen?"
Oooh dear!
Me: "Who, Steven Tyler? Why do you think that?"
Student: "He has long hair and huge lips!"
Me: "No, he's not a drag queen either."

In my head I was asking, "What in the world do YOU think a drag queen is?" I figured that should be the end of the conversation though, because I'm not being paid to educate students on the definition of what a drag queen is!

No comments: